How it Works
I’ve always wanted to read the classics, mostly just to sound like a smart person, and to be better at Trivial Pursuit. I started this book club to hopefully encourage myself to read more, and to try books I would overlook, and maybe encourage others to do the same.
Don’t get me wrong, I love to read, as a matter of fact I spend most of my day reading articles, on blogs and taking in the news. I also have a deep and abiding love for romance novels, or smut books, as my grandfather calls them. I call them brain candy, because they’re sweet and good for a few minutes of enjoyment.
I do enjoy reading diverse works, but it takes some prodding to get me going, and I usually don’t choose literature unless it’s related to work. If you’re in the same boat, here is my challenge:
- Each week (or 2 weeks or 10 days) there will be a new book to read;
- Each book will be a well know piece of literary fiction, a classic or something off a best seller’s list;
- The books should also try and highlight female writers or works on women, about women or from a woman’s perspective;
- Keep on track by doing a reading update throughout the week; and
- Once the book is finished do a short book report, giving opinions and impressions, and what was thought overall of the book.
My goal is to challenge myself not just to read more, but to read more good books!